Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nov 22nd - Day 95: Some More Interior Work

So as we approach the 100th day on the project I'm feeling really good. To date the car is almost completely disassembled and the front 1/3 of the body is completely re-built and ready to paint. However last night as we started to work under the dashboard it became pretty apparent that we could no longer ignore disassembling the electrical and various components under the dash.

Still under the dash we have:
- Windshield wiper motor
- Wiring
- Knobs and Ignition
- Stereo
- Glove Compartment
- Floor Dimmer Switch
- Brake and Clutch Pedal Assembly

Jesse's coming back on Friday to work on the front interior underneath the dash. We have some rot to take care of around where the new(er) floor pans meat the old floor pans under the cowl area (dash area inside). Because of this it's essential that we get all the tar clear and anything in the way out of the way.

So last night (day 95) we did a little more disassembly!

1. Remove the Brake & Clutch Pedal Assembly

a. Remove the brake light sensor from the side of the brake pedal (slides off to the left when looking up).

b. Remove the assembly

1. There are 2 bolts with nuts at the steering column. NOTE. These are the same 2 bolts and nuts that hold the steering column bracket in place, we already had the nuts removed when we removed the steering column. Assembly must be replaced before column.

 2. There are supposed to be 4 bolts and nuts at the firewall side for the assembly. Mine had 2 left (the other 2 were removed when we removed the master cylinder), plus someone drilled in 2 sheet metal screws for support. Yeah I don't really understand why... We're going to fix that...

And here's what it looks like removed:

2. Pull Out the Wiring Harnesses from the Firewall:

There are 2 harnesses to the engine bay through the firewall. They have 4 metal clips on them that need to be pushed in and then the harnesses can be removed, pulled into the interior.

3. Remove the Floor Dimmer Switch (High Beam Switch)

Mine had 2 sheet metal screws through it. I'm guessing this wasn't stock like that, we will probably use a cleaner solution when we rebuild:

4. Remove Stereo (and ashtray):

Pretty self explanatory, we slid the ash tray out (leaving the assembly in place) so we could access the rear nut holding the stereo to it's mount and then removed that and the wiring harness (one piece)...

This was all done as a hack job obviously, the front box cut out is horrible. We may have to replace the whole dash or at least repair that section... For the look it would be nice to put an original stereo back in and then hide a better one, but I don't know if I care yet or not. I might just put a modern stereo unit in, it is a resto-mod after all...

Picture of back:

So after that we did a lot of cleaning on the floor pans, and like an idiot I forgot to photograph that afterwards... A LOT more to come this weekend. Really hoping to get those new floor supports in and some of the work inside under the dash/cowl area done... As we work from front to back, this car is taking shape FAST. I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment